research assistant

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Berkeley Parents Network: Water Heaters

Berkeley Parents Network: Water Heaters: "May 2005

About 2 years ago, we had a tankless hot water heater installed (an apparently fancy, Takagi TK2), and I'm fairly disappointed--wondering if my expectations were too high.

It takes 30 seconds to get hot water in our kitchen and 60 seconds to get it to the bathroom sink, ~6 and 20 feet from the heater respectively. Also, if I've got hot water running in the kitchen and I reduce the flow but don't change the temperature, the water goes cold and I have to crank the flow back up and wait again to get the not water back. Needless to say, we're wasting lots of water waiting for it to turn hot.

I had our plumber come back to ask if this was normal, and he advised that we had sort of large pipes (which they had installed 3 years prior) so it would take a while for the hot water to flow (of course we weren't advised of this when they sold us the expensive hot water heater) but didn't have a good explanation for the other stuff, and proposed a $500 tiny water tank to keep some hot water on reserve--seems to defeat the purpose. I can't believe that this is how the product was supposed to work.

Does anyone out there have this same hot water heater and experience or (please!) does this some malfunction/ adjustment problem? It infuriates me every time I turn the water on. feeling wasteful and shnookered"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home